October Rust is the fourth album by Type O Negative, released on August 20, 1996. This is the first album with Johnny Kelly credited as the band's drummer who took over the duty left by the departed member Sal Abruscato.
October Rust is certified gold by the RIAA.
Album contents Edit
October Rust has the most ballads and least doomy of any Type O album. It is melodic and has sludgy guitars, piano, synthesizers, and programmed drums. "Bad Ground" is a 38 second "joke intro" comprising only of low-level buzzing meant to sound as if the listener's speakers are incorrectly plugged in. The second and fifteenth tracks are spoken word intro and outro, respectively. Another production technique employed on the album is the use of very abrupt endings and segues to a few of the songs, like "Green Man", "Red Water (Christmas Mourning)" and "Haunted". "Cinnamon Girl" is a much heavier cover of Neil Young's song of the same name.
The lyrics on this album are mainly about love and death, as in "Love You to Death".
- "Bad Ground" – 0:38
- "Intro" – 0:21
- "Love You to Death" – 7:08
- "Be My Druidess" – 5:25
- "Green Man" – 5:48
- "Red Water (Christmas Mourning)" – 6:48
- "My Girlfriend's Girlfriend" – 3:46
- "Die with Me" – 7:12
- "Burnt Flowers Fallen" – 6:09
- "In Praise of Bacchus" – 7:36
- "Cinnamon Girl" (Neil Young cover) – 4:00
- "The Glorious Liberation of the People's Technocratic Republic of Vinnland by the Combined Forces of the United Territories of Europa" – 1:07
- "Wolf Moon (Including Zoanthropic Paranoia)" – 6:37
- "Haunted" – 10:07
- "Outro" – 0:09
- Anime Reviewer of Heavy Metal Otaku (9/10) – "The instrumentation is superb, the vocals are top-notch and instantly recognizable, and the atmosphere that was created is just remarkable."
- Ken Pierce of Sea of Tranquility (4.5/5) – "The most musical and atmospheric of their catalog."
- BigHans of Sputnikmusic (5/5) – "A haunting, melodic, somber, gorgeous opus from a group that severely overachieved on this album."
- An unknown user of Sputnikmusic (5/5) – "The whole album itself has a very autumn feel to it and it makes you feel as if you were taking a trip through the woods and watching the leaves fall down."
- Band performers
- Peter Steele – lead vocals, bass
- Kenny Hickey – guitar, acoustic guitar on "Die with Me" and "Wolf Moon (Including Zoanthropic Paranoia)", additional vocals
- Josh Silver – keyboards, piano, synths, effects, backing vocals
- Johnny Kelly – drums, percussion, backing vocals
- Additional performer
- Val Ium – vocals on "In Praise of Bacchus"
- Written by Peter Steele
- Engineered and mixed by Mike Marciano
- Mastered by George Marino
- Produced by Josh Silver and Peter Steele
- Cover artwork
- Concepted and designed by Peter Steele
- Designed executed by Laura Michaels
- Photographed by Joseph Cultice
- Forest photographed by Tim Fitzharris
Links to other albums Edit
|Type O Negative albums|
|Studio albums||Slow, Deep and Hard • The Origin of the Feces • Bloody Kisses • October Rust • World Coming Down • Life Is Killing Me • Dead Again|
|Compilation albums||The Least Worst Of • The Best of Type O Negative • None More Negative • The Complete Roadrunner Collection 1991-2003 • Blood Moon: A Collection of Covers and Rarities (Part 1) • Harvest Moon: A Collection of Covers and Rarities (Part 2)|
|Live albums||Steel O Dick • Bizarre Types • Live Again|
|Video albums||For When It Rains • After Dark • Symphony for the Devil|
|Split albums||Live, Rare and Hard • Iced Earth - Type O Negative - Engel|
|Cancelled album||Follow-up to Dead Again|